For more legal information, visit the CLEO website and Steps to Justice

Change font size:

Print page Expand all & print

Go to your first court date

You have a first court date if your case is at the:

  • Ontario Court of Justice
  • Family Court Branch of the Superior Court of Justice, unless you're also asking for a divorce or to divide property

Cases at the Superior Court of Justice don't have a first court date.

Your first court date is the date the court clerk wrote on the front page of your Form 8: Application when your documents were issued. If you're not sure which court to go to, contact the family court written on the top of your court forms.

The first court date is called an administrative appearance. It's not in front of a judge and is usually not even in a courtroom.

The court clerk meets with you and your partner to check that all of your documents are complete and have been properly served.

If your documents are not complete, the court clerk may set another first court date.

If your documents are complete, the court clerk sets a date for your first case conference.

If your partner did not file their Form 10: Answer, the court clerk may send your case to a judge for a decision based on only your documents and evidence.

If your case doesn't have a first court date, you or your partner have to ask the court clerk at the court to schedule a case conference for your case to move forward. The court clerk gives you a date for your case conference and signs Form 17: Conference Notice. You must serve this on your partner.

Once your case has started, you or your partner must schedule a trial within 365 days. If your case is not scheduled for trial in that time, the court clerk will send you and your partner a notice giving you 60 days to either:

  • file a consent to a judgment or order, or
  • schedule a case conference or settlement conference.

If either of you don't do anything after getting this notice, your case may be dismissed.